STORY OF THE BATTLE
Hubbardton Battlefield is nationally significant as the site of an important military encounter during the Northern Campaign of 1777, and a formative event in the development of the Northern Department Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War. A tactical loss for the American forces, historians conclude that, strategically, the battle was an American success because it allowed General St. Clair's withdrawing Northern Army to unite with General Schuyler’s forces near Fort Edward on 12 July, thus keeping alive the American army that blocked further movement south by British General John Burgoyne. The battle lasted more than three hours, probably closer to five, and involved soldiers from Vermont, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire. Several important Americans participated in the engagement, including Colonel Seth Warner of Vermont, and Colonel Ebenezer Francis of Massachusetts. Brigadier General Simon Fraser of the British 24th Regiment of Foot commanded the Advance Guard, while Baron Riedesel commanded the Royal Army’s Left Wing composed principally of Brunswick formations. The significance of this site is materially enhanced by the high integrity of its natural, cultural, and visual landscape as well as its archeological potential to improve upon or even radically change site interpretation. Archeological surveys conducted on the battlefield in 2001 and 2002 confirmed the presence of battle-related artifacts, such as lead shot, buttons, buckles, and other detritus of war. The Hubbardton Battlefield is an example of early attempts to preserve, and commemorate Revolutionary War battlefields, with a local grassroots effort that included veterans and eyewitnesses to the event. This initial mid-nineteenth-century effort was followed by official state involvement in the acquisition, development, and management of the site in the second quarter of the twentieth century as a historic site. This later phase of preservation was a part of a larger national trend in which organizations, and states sought to place monuments, and create battlefield parks that coincided with both the expansion of automobile-based cultural tourism, and a period of recalling our colonial, and revolutionary past. Hubbardton Battlefield was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. As part of ongoing research, and stewardship of this cultural, and historical resource, this amended nomination recognizes the battlefield’s larger significance under Criteria A, B, and D, and Criterion Consideration F, with a period of significance from July 1777, when the battle occurred, to 1937, when the State of Vermont purchased the land to establish a commemorative site.
For additional research click on the following links: