Dining Room: The pink rimmed china, some pieces with the monogram “JSM”, were purchased on a trip to Europe in 1867 when Morrill attended the Paris Exposition. The china closets were added in 1859 when the entry to the Homestead was modified. This also appears to be when the closet to the left of the marble-top side board was added and when the sideboard was installed. Although this piece is of the Renaissance Revival style, and similar to later pieces from the Washington D.C. house, it is original to the Homestead. The mantelpiece is of marble and slate with a faux finish. The mantelpieces in the Homestead perhaps came from the company of Moses & Pond of Boston who were manufacturing this type of mantelpiece. This is the same company that manufactured the cast iron cook stove in the kitchen. The artwork in the dining room is all engravings. The dining room furniture came from the Washington, DC house and has a label from Wuderman & Co. The gasolier over the table has been electrified and came from the Washington, DC house as the Homestead was never piped for gas.
There is a small butler’s pantry to the right of the marble-top sideboard that connects with the kitchen. The deep red paint on the plaster walls was chosen because shades of this color were found on the edges of the woodwork. The room, however, was probably wallpapered. The trim color replicates the original tan color as evidenced by the original paint on the closet door and the castle-like crenellations above the lintels of the windows and doors. The window sashes were probably varnished wood with a red stain.